What's In Your Kindle?

Well, I finally caved and joined the kindle club. This is a big step for me, as I've always considered myself a "book person" through and through. First off, I love reading, I'm kind of a reading nerd - if you will. Plus, I love the tangible nature of books; the weight of a book in my hands, the smell of the pages, the quick turn of a page... All those little nuances that make reading captivating.

But, having said that, I can devour a book in a relatively short period of time. And books are not light, nor are they conducive to packing for a vacation. When it comes down to deciding what will ultimately fit in my suitcase; do I want to pack 3 books OR do want to bring those cute wedges and the riding boots... When it comes to vacation packing, books can be a pain. For example: I brought 3 books on our honeymoon for beach/poolside reading, which I finished on Day 5 of our 7 days. At that moment I remember pondering the convenience of a tablet reader and the ability to purchase a new story with the ease of a single click.

I casually mentioned this to my husband, and voila, I received a kindle on my birthday! While I'm still going to buy books in book form, I'm excited at the prospect of traveling lighter, while wetting my reading appetite.

So I ask...what's in your kindle? Or in other words, what are you currently reading? I need some recommendations as I have 3 flights in the next month, and I need to stock up on some good books!

image/gearlive

9 comments

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I'm reading The Night Circus {in hardcover}. It's bizarre and beautiful. I highly recommend it.

Stevie said...

I'm reading the Game of Thrones series right now and they're fantastic. Also reading The Marriage Plot.

Lindsay said...

I just finished Next to Love which is about 3 women during world war II. I loved it. Now I'm reading The Secret Life of Bees. Let me know if you like your Kindle. I've always been a "book person" too but love the idea of traveling with a Kindle since I'm always lugging 3-5 books on vacation. NOT ideal!

Vanessa said...

I'm resistent to the Kindle for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm just a book person. However, we just don't have enough space in our apartment for all the books and they are heavy, even if you get them from the library.

So I caved I just got my boyfriend the Fire for his birthday last week, and I'm pretty are he's going to return the favor for me in April.

I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife, which everyone else seems to already have read. It's kind of meh, in my opinion.

Leslie said...

I was REALLY slow to get on board the Kindle train too. Then we moved to DC where I ride the Metro and walk a mile with my things, and I found out that most books written before 1923 are free. It seemed silly to resist any longer. I actually really love my Kindle, despite my initial resistence. We bought one with a keyboard, and I find that it's really easy to sort my notes, etc. I'm reading Moby Dick right now. :)

Ashlee Gadd said...

Recent favorites: Bossypants, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, If You Have To Cry Go Outside, The Joy of Less, The Help, Orange is the New Black, and duh....all the hunger games books if you haven't already read them (I think I remember you blogging about them before?) Happy reading!

Brittany said...

i love my kindle. i still love reading a real book but with the e-ink that kindles use, it really does feel just like a book. i love that i can load it up with tons of stuff and now, finally, i can check out library books with it. new releases are so much cheaper and i can save money, paper, and bookshelf space by only buying books that i really need to keep. i'm reading the marriage plot by jeffrey eugenides right now. are you on goodreads? you should definitely get on that! you can see what your friends are reading and keep track of your books. here's my profile: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4465672-brittany

luke and pamela said...

i just joined goodreads, and i'm looking forward to entering in all my faves and having it recommend some new ones to me. i never know what to read next!

Leesh said...

I have to admit that having an ereader totally beats having to pack three books in your luggage.

I don't have a Kindle but I have a Kobo and right now I have loaded up Bossypants, The Confession, Heart of the Matter, The Carrie Diaries and The Room. But at this moment, I am reading Bumped.